My YDEV Ideology

After completing the YDEV ideology assessment, I have learned that I most closely identify with the Positive Youth Development Ideology. This means that I value the natural "assets" youth possess and that I want to foster and promote a safe space in which they can evolve and explore them further.  The term assets in this context is referring to a child's skills, abilities and talents. These are considered to be internal assets.  Environment, family structure, social status etc. are all considered to be external assets. As a positive youth development worker, my focus is on providing a safe space and opportunities where youth can experience different situations ( a positive external asset), in the hope that it will help them develop and nurture their internal assets.  Overall I have learned that I am an individual that takes the skills and abilities that a person already possesses and helps that individual learn how to use them to better themselves. I do not try to change a person but rather help them see their strengths and provide a safe space where they can improve on other areas.
More recently, I took a personality assessment for another course. In that assessment I learned that i often try to see the best in people, even when they have done something unfavorable. I am a kind and generous person, however it takes me a long time to open myself up to others and develop a sense of trust. Once I do trust a person, I am very loyal and I won't give up on them. I wonder how this will impact me when working with children, especially teens who often go through difficult times. I wonder if I will have difficulty relating to them or even being vulnerable with them.  I also learned through this personality test that I often have a hard time standing up for myself, I will often bottle things up and wait until things get really bad before I explode, often times showering a poor individual with verbal abuse. I often  wonder how this will impact me in my youth work as well, after all if I cannot express myself in a healthy way, how will I be able to teach youth how to do it? I think that I have a lot to learn about myself and about the profession I am going into. As a youth worker our job is to connect with people whole heartily, and to make matters more interesting, our targeted population is youth; A population that looks up to adults as mentors and soak everything in like a sponge. So I guess my question is, what do we do when they realize we aren't perfect? when they realize we may not always have the right answer or do the right thing? how do we overcome this? Any thoughts are welcome. 

Comments

  1. I also got positive youth development on my inventory and I agree with everything you have said! Your questions are great questions and I honestly would love to know the answers but I don't think there are direct answers but maybe as we grow within different youth spaces we will know how to answer those questions and work with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing up in Youth Spaces

Introduction to Youth Work by Jason Wood, Sue Westwood and Gill Thompson