Injustice

Throughout my life, I have been fortunate enough to not have experienced injustice in terms of corruption or inequity as defined by Webster dictionary. Although  I have experienced oppression and racism, very recently. I live in a predominantly white neighborhood, in which there is a popular walking trail. One day my mother an I decided to go for a walk, trying to meet our fitbit goals for the day. For the most part it was a pleasant day. The sun was shining, it wasn't too hot or cold, and we had walked pretty far. The trail is mostly secluded and surrounded by trees. It does however open up to a local park. While walking through a car passed by and shouted racial slurs at us. My reaction at first was shock. I could not believe that in 2017 I would still be called a n*gger, in such a repulsive way. I then became angry and contemplated confronting the teens in the car, which was now stopped at a stop sign. Instead I realized that it was better to take the high road and continue my walk. My mother was outraged and deeply insulted. I did my best to console her. Looking at this now I don't believe I would have done anything differently. I don't think that violence, or an upfront confrontation would have changed the perpetrators in anyway that mattered. I think now the best I can do is advocate for minorities as a whole. Advocate for a time when the color of your skin does not matter when applying for a job, going for a walk, or even receiving a loan. I believe that racism and discrimination, while illegal, is still very much present and I don't know where to even begin to change it.

Comments

  1. Daysha, this is horrible to hear and I'm sorry you experienced that. I agree with you in that it was a good idea just to continue your walk and not say anything. I think the setting of a conversation like that really matters and especially because you did not know these people, you never know what they were capable if you confronted them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Daysha that is so terrible. I can't imagine what that felt like. You're right it is surprising that in 2017 this type of language is still used. That must be a hard position to be in especially when dealing with strangers. I agree with Casey you made the right call. You don't know what these people had in their car or could've done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing up in Youth Spaces

Introduction to Youth Work by Jason Wood, Sue Westwood and Gill Thompson